France could face “critical situation” in winter if cases keep rising; Greece registers 17 cases in Moria migrant camp on Lesbos; Egypt infections pass 100,041. Follow the latest updates
- Spain first country in western Europe to pass 500,000 cases
- Global deaths pass 890,000
- Seven Greek islands to be added to England quarantine list
- UK health secretary says young people largely behind case rise
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Up to 60,000 people in the UK may have been suffering from “long Covid” for more than three months, unable to get the care they need to recover from prolonged and debilitating symptoms.
Tim Spector, a professor of genetic epidemiology at King’s College London who runs the app-based Covid symptom study, said around 300,000 people had reported symptoms lasting for more than a month.
The global coronavirus death toll has passed another sombre milestone, exceeding 890,000, with 890,260 confirmed by researchers at Johns Hopkins University.
The true death toll is likely to be higher, due to differing testing rates and definitions, time lags and suspected underreporting in some countries.