UK coronavirus live: Matt Hancock announces new restrictions in Bolton where case rate is highest in country
Restaurants and pubs limited to takeaways while businesses must close from 10pm to 5am in Bolton; Brandon Lewis admits government plan to change withdrawal agreement breaks international law
- UK’s top legal civil servant quits ‘over Brexit deal changes’
- UK facing ‘big burden’ to prevent second Covid wave, warns minister
- Leaked EU cables reveal growing mistrust of UK in Brexit talks
- ONS update show UK has had 57,417 coronavirus deaths
- Coronavirus – latest updates
Hancock says the government is investing in making fast, mass testing available.
He stresses the importance of local restrictions. And he says there is a particular problem in Bolton, which is why he says he is announcing new measures there.
In the Commons Matt Hancock, the health secretary, is making a statement about coronavirus.
He says the daily number of people dying is at its lowest level since March.