News updates: new rules set to mean almost 10 million people in UK will be under some form of lockdown; proportion of people getting in-person test results in 24 hours halves
- Health minister rejects claims of two-week national lockdown
- Boris Johnson appears to criticise Priti Patel for rule of six snooping
- Up to 25,000 teachers in England self-isolating
- Middlesbrough manager Neil Warnock tests positive for Covid
- Global coronavirus live blog
Hancock says there have been concerning rises in infection rates in some parts of the north east.
Local authorities wrote to him asking for tighter restrictions, he says.
Matt Hancock, the health secretary, is speaking now.
He says he will explain the new local restrictions, and measures being taken to prepare the NHS for winter.